If you're unsure about the rules for buying and possessing cannabis in Ontario, read on to understand the key facts. Here's what you need to know:
Purchase and Possession
- OCS is the only legal seller of recreational cannabis in Ontario. Purchases made at any other retail outlet or website are illegal.
- You must be 19 years of age or older with an address in Ontario to purchase cannabis at OCS.ca.
- Cannabis orders from OCS.ca can only be received by an adult 19 years of age or older with photo ID.
- You can purchase up to 30 grams of cannabis at a time.
- In public, you may personally possess up to 30 grams of cannabis.
- You are allowed to grow up to four cannabis plants per residential dwelling (not per adult).
Cannabis consumption is legal in your private residence and in some public areas.
It is illegal to consume cannabis in:
- Enclosed public places and all workplaces
- Indoor common areas of condominiums, apartment buildings and university residences
- Schools and school grounds, and within 20 metres of the grounds of a school or community centre
- Restaurant and bar patios, and public areas within nine metres of a patio
- Child-care centres, home child-care centres and where an early years program or service is provided
- Children’s playgrounds
- Outdoor grounds of hospitals and certain Ontario government buildings
- Publically owned sporting areas (except golf courses)
- Vehicles and boats that are operated by the user (in the case of all forms of consumption) or under someone’s care or control (in the case of cannabis being smoked or vaped)