Consuming cannabis responsibly will help you to manage your experience. Keep these four tips in mind when choosing and consuming cannabis.
- Start with a very small amount, especially if you’re new to cannabis, trying a new product or using a new method of consumption.
- Consider THC and CBD content in products. New users should opt for mild THC levels or choose products with higher CBD levels to counter some of the effects of THC.
- Try lower-risk alternatives to combustion inhalation (smoking).
- Consume a very small amount when ingesting cannabis and wait at least an hour to gauge effects. A small amount can produce an intense effect.
For more information on how to reduce the risks associated with cannabis use, visit CAMH.ca for Lower Risk Cannabis Use Guidelines.
Health and Safety Tips
Consider these important facts about your health when deciding whether to consume cannabis.
- Avoid cannabis before the age of 25 as it may affect brain development.
- Never drive after or while consuming cannabis. Cannabis products containing THC will produce impairment in motor skills, cognition and decision-making abilities.
- Avoid consuming cannabis if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid cannabis if you’re at risk for mental health issues, such as having a family or personal history of psychosis or substance misuse.
- Avoid mixing cannabis and alcohol, as it increases impairment.
- Avoid mixing cannabis with tobacco, as it increases the health risks and the likelihood of dependency.
- Keep cannabis safely out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not smoke cannabis with a child in the home. Second-hand smoke is a health risk.
- Holding cannabis smoke in your lungs during inhalation may increase the health risks.
- Any cannabis bought outside OCS.ca may not be safe for use.
Why buy products from OCS?
The Laws around Cannabis